Saturday, January 4, 2014

Braiding for Freedom - January 4th

Okay so...  I've decided to get really creative today and do something I would like, NEVER, EVER do to my hair!
 
Princess Leia Braided Buns!!!
I bet your sitting there smiling...

Another reason I did this was that my two brothers and one of my sisters said that if I did a Princess Leia hairstyle and went out somewhere with it in, they would each put $10 toward Campaign 1:17.
 
  
 
Well, I did it! :)  And ended up with $30 more dollars for Campaign 1:17!!!  I felt kinda 'awkward' walking through the store with such a goofy hairstyle.  And I got quite a few strange looks and double takes.  But then I thought of the how the girls trapped in slavery must feel.  Some of these girls are even my age.  They are forced to do things they should never have to do, and they have to do them everyday.  So I was once again reminded of why I am doing this:  For the kids like me who have to live a life of bondage.  But there is hope.  Here is the story of Anita, a young woman from Nepal:
 
"When I was 12 years old a couple that I trusted promised me a job. They convinced me of a dream opportunity to work as a domestic helper along with the chance to pursue my studies. The idea of a secure job thrilled me, as it would any young girl in Nepal. Believing that I could trust this couple, I left my home in pursuit of a future.

After drugging me, the couple took me to a movie theater where a brothel owner met us. Two hundred dollars was the price that sold me into forced prostitution. For the next 18 years I lived and worked in the red light district of Mumbai.

It was here in the red light district that I first heard the Gospel from those involved with Bombay Teen Challenge (Mumbai Project Rescue affiliated site[Learn more about Project Rescue here]). My brothel owner and I had a life changing experience by accepting Jesus into our lives. After this I soon decided to return to my home in Nepal.

Ten ladies, including myself, now live at the Kathmandu,, Nepal aftercare home. God is continuing to work beautifully in each of our lives. I am currently attending literacy classes and sewing classes and hope to one day have a tailoring shop of my own." {source}
    
What a wonderful story of restoration!  Please stand with me this month and help raise awareness for this cause.  It's not to late to start braiding for freedom!
 
AND!!! Allow me to introduce you to some friends who are also braiding for freedom!  Sam, Savannah, Sophie and Sadie are posting pictures of their awesome braids on Pinterest.  Thank you so much for you support!  See them here! :D  
 
Braiding for Freedom. Fighting Slavery with a Month of Braids Day 4. Go to campaign117.blogspot.com
 
 
Want to join the fun?

  • Braid your hair differently everyday with me!  Go here to read more about 'month of braids'.  Then comment below and leave a link to where you'll be posting your braids so I can see them too!
  • Sponsor and pray!  Donate to Campaign 1:17 to support me, [sponsoring amount ideas: fifty cents a braid, one dollar a braid, etc...]  Donate here.  Then, pray for me this month so I can continue to stay strong in my challenge and continue stand with those who stand alone.
  • You can also see all of my braids on Pinterest
 

2 comments:

  1. Ahh!! I love it!!! Adorable!! <3 Hehe, you're right, I am smiling!! :Grin: That is one expensive hair-do! Keep up the good work! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha! Told you it was hilarious! :D (And yeah, it is expensive... lol!)

      Delete