Monday, August 19, 2013

My Campaign

Hello everyone, I'm Grace.  I am thirteen years old, and I want to abolish slavery.

Not too long ago I watched the movie Amazing Grace. (If you haven't watched this movie you should!) It's about the life of William Wilberforce and his heroic campaign to abolish the slave trade in England.  I was very saddened to hear about how slaves in the 1700's were treated, and I wished I could have stood with William Wilberforce to help stop the horrifying things that were happening to these men, women, and children held as slaves. 

Some of you may be thinking, "Why are you talking about slavery?  It's a thing of the past." Or, "Why are you making a blog about slavery?  Nobody has a "slave" anymore."

But this, sadly, is not true.  Actually there are more slaves today then there were at any time in history!  Experts estimate that at least 27 million people are held in some form of modern-day slavery today.  Some of these forms are:
  • Forced Labor Slavery
  • Human Trafficking
  • Debt Bondage
27 million people, suffering, hurting, being used, abused, and striped of their rights as human beings!  I am a Christian and I believe everyone should be free.  This is why I am launching Campaign 1:17. The name comes from the Bible verse Isaiah 1:17, which says "Seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan and plead for the widow."  So stand with me as I fight against modern-day slavery!

I'll post more about how you can help later.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to see how the Lord is using you!! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete